If you're looking for new leg tattoo inspiration, you've come to the right place. In this article, we'll take a look at some of the most awesome leg tattoos for women. Whether you're looking for a small and simple tattoo or something bigger and bolder, we've got you covered!
Are you only interested in tattoo designs and want to skip the educational part?
No problem, we got you covered! Click HERE to get inspired.
Should women get leg tattoos?
Consider your legs if you want a new tattoo but need to know where to put it! They provide plenty of space for big or small designs. You could even put it on your calf, thigh, or ankle.
On average, the surface area of women's legs is 36% larger than their other body parts. Thus, the size relative to your leg(s) should be fine when considering a tattoo design. Many choose to get tattoos on their legs for various reasons - some benefit more from tattoos on the legs compared to other locations.
Benefits of getting a leg tattoo
- Your tattoo is less likely to fade if the legs are less exposed to the sun.
- Covering up your leg tattoo at work is easy if you have to wear dress clothes; slip on some socks or long pants.
- If you want a tattoo in a more discreet location, then opt for a leg tattoo. These can be easily hidden under clothing if need be.
- The skin on your legs is typically thicker than other parts of your body, which blunts the pain of the tattoo needle.
- Because the leg is a large area, there are plenty of designs guys can select from for their tattoos.
Which part of the leg can you tattoo?
The size and complexity of your tattoo will help to determine which method from the options below would be best.
- Women tattoo the heel, sole, and toes the least often.
- The most common sites for tattoos are the lower leg, outer thigh, and ankle.
- The areas with the least pain are typically fleshier leg parts, such as the calf and thigh.
- Bony areas, such as the ankle and shin, are generally more painful.
Does the Size Matter?
Since the average woman's leg is around 18 inches wide, you have a lot of space for tattoo designs.
The ankle or shin is a good spot if you want a small tattoo. However, if you want something larger, opt for the calf or thigh.
Remember that the skin on your legs is thinner and more sensitive than other body parts, so getting a tattoo there may be more painful.
Most popular leg tattoo placement ideas for women and their pain level
1. Calf (3 out of 10 on the pain scale) - This is a popular area for both men and women to get tattoos. The pain level on lower leg tattoos is typically moderate, but it can be more painful if it is close to the bone.
2. Thigh (4 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The pain level in this area can vary depending on how fleshy your thighs are. Typically the front leg tattoos where you have more muscle will likely hurt less.
3. Ankle (5 out of 10 on the pain scale) - This is a sensitive area with thin skin and many bones, so it can be quite painful. Side lower leg tattoos are the most common tattoo placements for women.
4. Shin (6 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The shin is another sensitive area with thin skin and plenty of bones. It's also a common spot for people to get shin splints, so be careful if you're prone to them.
5. Foot (7 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The foot is one of the most painful areas to get a tattoo due to its thin skin and lack of fat. It's also a difficult area to tattoo because it's easy to miss a spot.
6. Toes (8 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The toes are even more sensitive than the foot, so this is one of the most painful areas to get a tattoo.
7. Heel (9 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The heel is the most painful area on the foot due to the lack of flesh and abundance of nerves. It's also difficult to reach, so people are not recommended to get their first tattoo.
8. Sole (10 out of 10 on the pain scale) - The sole of the foot is the most sensitive area due to the lack of flesh and abundance of nerves. It's also difficult to reach, so people are not recommended to get their first tattoo.
Turning tattoos into pins
If you are a tattoo artist or tattoo shop owner, it is a good idea to use your tattoo designs in making custom pin badges that you can give away to your clients as a kind of thank you. In addition to the fact that they will catch the attention of potential customers when your customers wear them, they are also a great way to advertise your shop and the tattoo designs you offer.
Pinbadges.co is a site where you can customize your own badges with the use of an online design system.
Top 10 leg tattoo ideas for women
Although there are endless possibilities when it comes to tattoo designs, here are some of the most popular ideas for women's leg tattoos:
1. Flower leg tattoo for women: A flower tattoo is a classic choice for a leg tattoo. Flowers are feminine and can be designed in various ways, so you're sure to find a flower tattoo that suits your style.
2. Tribal leg tattoo for women: A tribal tattoo is a great choice if you want something with a cultural feel. Tribal tattoos are often quite large, so they're perfect for making a statement with your leg tattoo.
3. Butterfly leg tattoo for women: Butterflies are symbols of transformation, so they make for Meaningful leg tattoos. Butterfly tattoos can be designed in many ways, so you're sure to find one that suits your style.
4. Dragonfly leg tattoo for women: Dragonflies are another great choice for Meaningful leg tattoos. Like butterflies, dragonflies represent transformation and change. Dragonfly tattoos can be large or small, making them versatile for leg tattoos.
5. Lotus flower leg tattoo for women: The lotus flower symbolizes beauty, purity, and spiritual enlightenment. Lotus flower tattoos can be very detailed and colorful, making them stand out as beautiful leg tattoos.
6. Phoenix leg tattoo for women: The phoenix is a mythical bird that is said to rise from the ashes of its predecessor. Phoenixes are symbols of rebirth and resurrection, making them ideal choices for Meaningful leg tattoos.
7. Tree of life leg tattoo for women: The tree of life is a symbol of growth, strength, and fertility. Tree-of-life tattoos are often large and detailed, making them beautiful choices for leg tattoos.
9. Mandala leg tattoos for women: Mandalas are circular designs that represent the universe. Mandalas can be very detailed and colorful, making them beautiful choices for leg tattoos.
People Also Ask:
Do leg tattoos hurt?
Ankle and shin tattoos usually cause severe pain since your ankle bones and shinbones lie just beneath thin layers of skin in these areas. In fact, the pain is comparable to what you would experience if you got a tattoo on your rib cage.
Can I shower after a tattoo?
You can shower 3-4 hours after getting your tattoo, but it's essential waterproof the tattoo to avoid soaking the area for 2 weeks and remove any soap immediately.
Can I walk after a leg tattoo?
Walking is always a safe bet--it's soft and gentle, yet it's still a great way to get your body moving. Not to mention, avoiding direct sunlight on your tattoo will help keep it looking fresh.
Can I numb the pain?
A few numbing cream products on the market can help ease the pain of getting a tattoo. You just need to apply them before your tattoo appointment and make sure to follow the instructions carefully.
How long does it take for a leg tattoo to heal?
It usually takes about two weeks for a leg tattoo to heal. However, it can take longer if the tattoo was done in a sensitive area or if you have a history of slow healing.
What is the best position for a leg tattoo?
The best position for a leg tattoo depends on your pain tolerance and the size of the tattoo. For small tattoos, the outer ankle is a good option. For larger tattoos, the thigh or calf may be a better option.
Can I get a leg tattoo if I'm pregnant?
Yes, you can get a leg tattoo while pregnant, but it's best to wait until after the first trimester. This is because the risk of complications, such as infection, is highest during this time.
What should I do if my leg tattoo starts to peel?
If your leg tattoo starts to peel, it's important to resist the urge to pick at it. This can cause the tattoo to fade or become infected. Instead, try applying a light layer of lotion or petroleum jelly to keep the tattoo moist and protected.
Watch A Video Of A Leg Tattoo For Women Done By A Pro:
199+ Leg Tattoos For Women To Get Inspired From
There are many leg tattoos to choose from, so you're sure to find one that suits your style and personality. Leg tattoos can be large or small, detailed or simple, and they can be placed in various locations. If you're looking for a Meaningful tattoo, consider choosing a design that represents something important. If you're looking for a more subtle tattoo, consider choosing a small design or placing it in a location that can be easily covered.